2 tablespoons butter
1 large carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 medium large Vidalia onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 teaspoons minced garlic, jar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 rotisserie chicken, skin and bones removed, meat shredded
1/2 pound ham steak, cubed
Juice of 1 lemon
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1 recipe basic dough or 1-9 inch round Pillsbury pie dough
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium.
- Add carrot, onion, celery and garlic. Cook until carrot is crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until flour is golden.
- Gradually and alternately whisk in the milk and broth, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a simmer and thickens, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the chicken, ham, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide filling among eight 8-ounce ramekins or ovenproof bowls.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 15-inches round. With a 3 1/2-inch floured biscuit cutter, cut out eight rounds and place one on each ramekin. Transfer ramekins to a rimmed baking sheet; bake until filling is bubbling and crusts are golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
To Make ahead: Prepare, but do not top with dough. Let cool to room temperature. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Store in the freezer 3-6 months maximum. Remove from freezer, top with dough and bake 45 minutes at 425 degrees until golden and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before eating.