I brought this cake to work for a meeting, a breakfast meeting, and it was gone in moments. To me peanut butter and banana have a wonderful affinity for each other. If you want to really pump it up, toss in some chocolate chips to the cake batter…whatever you choose to do, be sure to save room for dessert, even if it’s 9:30 am…
Banana Bundt Cake with Peanut Butter Buttercream Glaze
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature.
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
4 very ripe bananas, mashed, about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups
1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray or generously butter a 12-cup Bundt pan (After a disastrous cake inversion, I now use this)
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter until creamy; add sugar and vanilla, beating until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating for about 1 minute after you plop in each egg
- Unless you want to be splattered with batter, reduce the speed to low and add the bananas.
- Then, add in half of the dry ingredients, the entire cup of sour cream, and then the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 65 to 75 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. During the baking time, check after about 30 minutes, and if it is browning too quickly, cover it loosely with foil.
- Transfer the cake to a rack and cool for 10 minutes before inverting to cool completely.
- Pour on Peanut Butter Buttercream Glaze or just dust with powdered sugar.
Peanut Butter Buttercream Glaze
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup milk, or more
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 cups powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat butter and milk until butter melts. Add peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until mixture is smooth.
- Add 1 cup powdered sugar, mix well. Add more powdered sugar or milk to achieve desired consistency.
Cake recipe adapted from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking: From My Home to Yours